Friday, January 3, 2014

My First Author Interview!


Since September of 2013 I've really been making a game plan to get my shit together. That meant:
  • Outlining a novel and committing to finish it
    • This meant publicizing it! I feel like I, personally, can't back out of something if everyone knows I'm doing it. 
  • Reading more
  • Connecting with other writers
  • Editing for other writers
  • Attending events and conference
  • Writing every single day 
  • Try to get some short stories published
  • Take a Gotham Writer's Workshop
  • Apply for Fellowship
That last one is particularly difficult. Sometimes, you want to come home and relax.


That feeling when you take off your bra after a long day at work
However, since making this commitment, I've averaged about 10k words a month. I need to speed it up a little to be done by February--but I'm still impressed with myself. Especially since I think my writing for this project really isn't too bad!
  I booked my ticket for AWP (Association of Writers and Writer's Program) and attended an event at the Brooklyn Historical Society, that spoke about race and speculative fiction! It's been a fun ride and so far my hard work has culminated in the following:


Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty good! And this young lady inspired me to come up with a list of 
Writing Goals for 2014

  •  Finish the Novel
  • Attend three more writing events outside of AWP
  • Query 20+ agents (I tend to under-query and give up)
  • Write and Submit 3 short stories
  • Outline and begin draft of next project
  • Read 10 books
  • Tweet one new writer a day (I've met some great people this way)
  • Publicize this blog
  • Edit for someone in my genre
This is going to be such a good year--it's already off to a fantastic start! That isn't to underestimate that the publishing industry isn't terrifying and difficult. It's basically a war. I'm ready though.
So. Fucking. Ready


2 comments:

  1. solidly inspiring. ^_^ might just unearth my own blog one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unearth as in reveal to the world it exists? Or unearth as in create? Either way, I'm excited!

      Thank you for the kind words :)

      Delete